I’m doing something scary!
I’m developing a brand new idea that is going to require me to step out on a limb… take a leap of faith… and expose my vulnerability to the world.
And yes – I am scared!
The last time I was this open and vulnerable – I was publicly ridiculed. I’m scared that it may happen again. My insecurities are screaming their objections to my plan. The part of me that wants to feel *safe* is fiercely resisting this Big Dream.
But, there’s another side of me:
A strong, creative, DO’er who is stubbornly determined to live the best, most authentic, deliberate and beautiful life possible!
And that part of me is going to DO this thing… whether my insecurities like it or not!
“Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway” – John Wayne
I’ve been thinking a lot about fear recently… and how it holds so many of us back from following our dreams and doing what we REALLY want to do with our lives.
- We’re afraid of failing..
- We’re afraid of being criticised or ridiculed…
- We’re afraid that people won’t like us…
- We’re afraid of what people might say – or think – about us…
- We’re afraid of “The New” and “The Unfamiliar”…
- We’re afraid that we’ll make fools of ourselves…
I wonder what we’d all be like… and I wonder what kinds of lives we’d be living if we weren’t so scared?
A friend of mine, Nancy (of Family on Bikes) – likes to ask people the question:
“What would you DO if you weren’t afraid?”
Nancy – to give you some idea – travelled with her husband and 11 year old twins from Alaska to Argentina… on bikes! This was an enormous feat – and Nancy mentioned that, in the beginning, her fears threatened to put a halt to her big dream… but… she saddled up anyway!
Now… obviously, we don’t all share the same dreams.
I have no intention of cycling from Alaska to Argentina… but I also have scary dreams (of a different variety).
What are YOUR dreams? What would YOU do if you weren’t afraid?
- Would you quit your job?
- Would you change careers?
- Would you walk away from an abusive relationship?
- Would you move to a different city – or country?
- Would you take to the stage and perform?
- Would you learn how to hip-hop dance?
- Would you take a scuba diving course?
- Would you stand up to the bullies in your life and tell them that you’re no longer prepared to be their doormat?
What would you do if you weren’t afraid?
The first step, is figuring out what you’d DO… and then the second step is taking action (and even it’s tiny baby steps) towards that dream or goal. DOING is what gets you out of the rut – not sitting / stagnating / hoping / waiting for a miracle to drop from the sky… but DOING!
Here’s a great quote from Dale Carnegie:
“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit at home and think about it. Go out and get busy!”
By the way – I’m preaching to myself here…
I have pasted a couple of inspirational posters and messages around my office and workspace – and they incentivise me to DO. Every day, I wake up… and I take tiny baby steps towards achieving my Big Dream (which I’ll tell you about later). Do you know – that even actively writing and posting this blog… and publishing my Weekly-E… and posting on the BLP Facebook page are all tiny, baby steps towards my goal?
And yes… there’s a big part of me that is scared:
- “What if people don’t like what I say or do?”
- “What if they ridicule my work?”
- “What if they ridicule me?”
But… *taking deep breath of courage*…. I’m gonna saddle up ANYWAY!
Wanna join me? I would love to hear your thoughts! – and if this blog was relevant for you – or if it resonated with you – please share the love! Ta! X